Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lighting Challenge Reference

Started looking for some image reference of candles, Asian ceramics, shoji screens, candle flames, and smoke.  Also looking for general feel images too. 

Overall, I want a warm feeling for all of the materials, so I can offset that with the cooler night-time light from offscreen.  I want to bring in some violets and blues with my night colors, which will play off the yellows, oranges, and reds, nicely.

I also want to play up the geometric patterns in the image- shoji screen grid, porcelain plate, vase, picture frame. 

Shoji:  For the shoji screen, I was mainly looking for how light passes through the paper areas.  I'm going to keep it traditional colors- darker wood and off-white/cream paper.  I like how the 2nd image has blue sky light filling it at the bottom and slowly fades to warmer tones.





Candle: I think I need to bring an actual candle in for this material.  I want to keep its color pretty neutral, but warmer. 





Candle Holder:  I wanted a silver material for the candle holders, but still warm in tone.  Pewter seems to be the best option for this.  I want a wear level between this images.




Porcelain:  For the small dish in the foreground, I want to do a blue/white porcelain, but less detailed than the examples below.  I think I want a simple blue stripe around the edge or center flat area, possibly a patterned stripe.  I'm looking at the images below for circular pattern examples. 





Ceramic Vase: I really want something a little older in feel for the vase.  I like the geometric rough texture of the second image, but with more subtle warm tones. 




Incense Sticks: I wanted to make sure I had a few images of what incense sticks look like post-burning.  I may need to deform the stick on the plate and apply a second shader to it.




Frame: I'm going for gilt-wood + pattern for the frame.  Nothing ornate, but I like the warm sheen I'm going to get from it.





Picture: I want something older in style for the picture frame, a painting or a print.  If I can't come up with something that works in the scene, then I'm just going to leave it empty.





Candle Flame/Smoke Motion:







No comments:

Post a Comment